Drive And manoeuvre Trailers
In this towing training course you will learn to drive and manoeuvre a trailer while it is attached to a vehicle. Lessons include: inspecting the trailer before use, connecting and disconnecting the trailer to a vehicle, driving with the trailer, reversing the trailer. This course applies to people who need to tow a trailer during the course of their work.
This trailer towing course is delivered over 8-hours (depending on ability and experience).
Contact us for details on your nearest training location.
No licensing, regulatory, legislative or certification requirements apply to this driver training course.
AURTGA001 is a nationally recognised trailer training course.
Driven Training Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organisation (40780)
AURTGA001 Course Structure
The AURTGA001 towing training course consists of:
- Online self-paced study
- Online assessment
- Static practical lessons around the vehicle and trailer
- Hands-on lessons and assessment in a vehicle while towing a trailer
- Self-paced study
AURTGA001 – Information Topics Covered
Topics covered in the classroom lesson include:
- Towing legislation
- Trailer types
- Safe trailer hitching – safety chains, shackles
- Braking systems – 750kg, 751-2000kg, over 2000kg
- Defensive driving – night driving, animal management, wet roads
- Fatigue management
- Vehicle prestart checks and fault finding
- Vehicle loading – load security, liquid loads, trailer sway
- On and Off-road driving hazards and techniques
Unit of competency: Here’s the official government definition of what’s covered in the AURTGA001 towing training course.
AURTGA001 – Practical Component
On the AURTGA001 Drive and manoeuvre Trailers training you will be given 4 hours of practical training in a vehicle covering the following subjects:
- Prestart checks, load security, fault repair
- Hitching and unhitching a trailer
- Towing different types of trailers – single and tandem axle
- Driving on public roads
- Driving on unsealed roads
- Emergency braking on unsealed roads
- Reversing a trailer: around a curved road, right angle turn into a driveway, backing uphill